As of June 29th, 2018, all internet connected devices were upgraded to new security standards, known as Transport Layer Security (TLS). TLS Versions below 1.2 were phased out, and devices accessing the Internet that are not updated to utilize the required TLS Version will not be able to perform many functions related to Internet connectivity.
If your NOOK Device is not updated to meet these new TLS security standards, you will not be able to make any purchases, or download and manage your NOOK Content from your NOOK Device.
Common errors associated with old NOOK Software Versions:
-- "We’re having trouble with your connection. Please try again or check Wi-Fi Settings and make sure you are connected to a working access point. For help, visit http://nook.com/support"
-- “To access Shop you must enable Wi-Fi and have an Internet connection.”
-- Having trouble connecting to the NOOK Shop
The following NOOK Devices will require a software update for TLS compliance. If your device is on this list, and the Software Version is lower than listed, please read ahead for instructions on how to update.
Android Tablets & Phones not included in list below will require Android OS 4.4.2 or higher and the latest version of the NOOK app from the Google Play Store.
- Samsung NOOK Devices: App Update (Click Here)
- NOOK HD: 2.2.1*
- NOOK HD+: 2.2.1*
- NOOK Simple Touch:1.2.2
- NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight: 1.2.2
- NOOK GlowLight: 1.3.2
- NOOK Color: 1.4.4
- NOOK Tablet: 1.4.4
- NOOK GlowLight Plus: 220.127.116.11
- NOOK First Edition: Not Supported (Click Here)
* The NOOK HD & NOOK HD+ Software Version numbers did not change when a TLS patch was released. Even if these devices display Version 2.2.1, they may not be TLS compliant. Be sure to download the software update for your device if you are experiencing issues, even with the correct Software Version number.
Determining the Version Number of Your Current NOOK Software
Note for NOOK HD/HD+ Users: On NOOK HD and NOOK HD+, you can manually check for software updates in the Device Information screen of your Settings menu. If you attempt to check for an update and receive an error message stating “There was a problem with the update. Download Status Retry”, this is an indication that you have not received the software update for TLS 1.2. Continue with the steps below to update your software.
To manually install the update please follow the steps below.
1. Power on your NOOK device and connect it to your computer via USB cable. Once connected, open My Computer (Windows) or Finder (Mac) to locate and confirm the connected device named MyNOOK.
Note: If your Mac is not recognizing your nook, you may be required to download Android File Transfer: https://www.android.com/filetransfer/
Android File Transfer is an application for Mac Computers (running Mac OS 10.7 or higher) to view and transfer files between your Mac and an Android device.
2. From your computer, locate your device below and click the Download link for the required software update file. If prompted, select Save As and select the MyNOOK device referenced in Step 1, and click Save. If you did not receive a prompt, check your browser download history to locate the file and copy it into the MyNOOK folder.
- Do not download or save multiple copies/versions of the file to your PC or NOOK Device. This will cause the update to fail
- Do not modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way.
- Do not try to open the file as this will only result in an error.
- Do not create a new folder on the MyNOOK device or add the file to any other existing folder.
NOOK SimpleTouch &
Simple Touch GlowLight
NOOK GlowLight Plus
4. Your NOOK will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes when it goes into sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates. Once the installation is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart and go to the Lock screen.
Note: We recommend that your NOOK Battery is charged at 20% or more. Do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.
Congratulations, your NOOK has been updated! If you need additional help, please call Customer Service at 1-800-843-2665.