Please review the following choices carefully, refunds and returns can only be processed when eligible items are returned using the appropriate method. If your return is shipped or brought to a store after the timeframes indicated below, we regret that we cannot issue a refund or send the merchandise back to you.
If you're not satisfied with your purchase, you may return it for a refund. We will issue a refund for the purchase price of the item plus any applicable taxes to your original form of payment for items returned within 30 days after the delivery date. All returned items must be in their original condition; shrink-wrapped or sealed products must be unopened. Shipping fees are not refunded. Click here for exceptions.
There are two options for returning items purchased on BN.com:
1. Bring Your Return to a Barnes & Noble Store
You can bring the item and your packing slip or Shipping Confirmation e-mail to any Barnes & Noble store with your original form of payment.
Please Note: If you used PayPal to complete your order, the store will provide a store credit in the form of Barnes & Noble Gift Card or in-store credit. The store will also issue a store credit for returns of textbook purchases.
Click here to look up your local store's contact information.
2. Ship Your Return Back to Us
You can ship the item to the Returns Department. The packing slip in your shipment has specific instructions for returns. We provide a pre-printed return label with our Returns Department Address.
If your packing slip is unavailable, please print out the Shipping Confirmation email you received after the item(s) shipped. Include that printout in the box, and write your Order Number on the outside of the box. Returns should be sent to:
Barnes & Noble
1 Barnes and Noble Way
Monroe Township, NJ 08831
Please Note: Your packing slip is not a prepaid label. You will be required to pay for return shipping. Shipping charges are non-refundable.
If you are returning a gifted item that was purchased on BN.com, a Barnes & Noble Gift Card will be issued for the purchase price of the item within 60 days of purchase.
If you're not satisfied with your purchase, a full refund for the original purchase price, including any applicable taxes, will be issued in store for returns of new and unread/unopened merchandise made within 30 days of purchase with a store sales receipt with the below qualifications:
- Eligible refunds will generally be made to your original form of tender. For purchases made with a credit card, debit card or mobile payment, the original form of payment must be present at the time of return to receive a refund. Store credit in the form of an electronic gift card will be issued if the original form of payment is not available.
- For returns with a gift receipt, a store credit will be issued in the form of an electronic gift card for the purchase price within 60 days of purchase. A store credit will also be issued for all textbook returns.
- Items purchased as part of a Buy X, Get Y Free offer are available for exchange only, unless all items purchased as part of the offer are returned, in which case such items are available for a refund (within 30 days). Exchanges of the items sold at no cost are available only for items of equal or lesser value than the original cost of such item.
- Returns or exchanges will not be permitted after 30 days or without receipt or for product not carried by Barnes & Noble.
Click here for exceptions
You can return your undamaged NOOK within 14 days of purchase from a B&N store or receipt from BN.com, with either of the following options:
A.) Call 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665) for a return authorization,
B.) Return it to a Barnes & Noble store. - Stores near you
Please Note: If you do not call for a return authorization number and send your NOOK to the wrong return address, no refund will be provided and your NOOK will not be returned to you. Shipping charges are non-refundable.
NOOKs purchased from other retailers or sellers are returnable only to the retailer or seller from which they were purchased pursuant to such retailer’s or seller’s return policy.Defective NOOKs may be exchanged at a store or by calling 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), in accordance with the applicable warranty.
Shrink-wrapped or sealed product that has been opened and/or removed from original packaging may not be returned, unless it is defective, in which case it can be exchanged only for the same product. For assistance with an exchange for a defective item, visit a Barnes & Noble store or contact Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665).
Magazines, newspapers, used books and shipping fees are not returnable or exchangeable.
Digital content, including eBooks, audiobooks, digital magazines and newspapers, Access Codes, gift cards, and shrink-wrapped items that have been opened, are not returnable. However, if you are having compatibility or quality issues with your content, please contact us for assistance.
Memberships and subscriptions have additional eligibility rules.
- Click here for Barnes & Noble Membership Terms & Conditions.
- Subscriptions can be cancelled at any time; you may receive a full or partial refund for any unused/unredeemed portion of the subscription.
Bulk orders of 50 or more copies are non-returnable.