The initial setup process for your NOOK guides you through setting up two types of accounts:
- A Google account for accessing the Google Play Store.
- A NOOK account for accessing NOOK content such as eBooks and the NOOK Newsstand.
You have to connect to a Wi-Fi network to set up your NOOK.
Selecting a Language
When you first turn on your NOOK, it displays a NOOK welcome screen. Select your preferred language and tap the yellow START button to continue.
Selecting a Wi-Fi Network
Tap the name of the Wi-Fi network to which you want to connect. If the network displays a lock symbol, you are prompted to enter a password to connect to the network.
If you do not know the password, ask the network administrator.
Setting up a Google Account
Your NOOK prompts you to sign in to your Google account or to create a Google account if you do not have one.
Your NOOK uses your Google Account to fully utilize its Android features, including Gmail, Google Hangouts, and the Google Play Store.
To create a new Google Account or set up your Google Account on your NOOK at any time, use Accounts settings.
From the Home screen, tap App Drawer > Settings > Accounts > Add account > Google.
You will be prompted to choose a security measure that will be used to unlock your NOOK. This is optional, and can be skipped by selecting Not Now from the menu that is provided.
Setting Up Your NOOK Account
Use your existing NOOK account or create a new one to make the best use of the NOOK features on your NOOK.
Registering an Existing NOOK Account
If you already have a Barnes & Noble or NOOK account, tap Sign In.
- On the Sign In screen, enter the email address and password for your account.
- You can also use your Facebook or Google account to sign in to your BN.com account
- NOTE: If you use Facebook or Google to sign in, the email address associated with the social network you choose must match the email address used for your BN.com account. If you have not created a BN.com account yet, one will be created under the email address associated with the social network you select
- Tap Sign In.
Creating a New NOOK Account
If you do not already have a Barnes & Noble or NOOK account, tap Create Account.
1. On the screen for creating your account, enter the requested information
2. Tap Submit.
- If you have read the legal notices and accept them, tap “Accept”.
If you do not accept the legal terms, you cannot use your NOOK.
Next you will set up a credit card for your account. You have the option of skipping this step, but you will not be able to make any purchases in the Bookstore until a credit card has been added to your account.
- Add credit card information for your account. Enter the name on the card, card number and type, expiration date, and billing address
Your NOOK enters this information and creates your account.