A Soft Reset reboots your device and deletes temporary files. Your important files and NOOK registration information will not be removed.
To perform a Soft Reset on your NOOK HD or HD+
1. Make sure that your device has enough battery to restart.
2. Hold down the Power button for around 20 seconds.
3. The device will shut down after you've held the Power button long enough.
4. Once the device is off and the screen is black release the Power button.
5. Press the Power button to turn your NOOK back on. The reset is now complete.
An Erase and Deregister reboots your device and deletes all of your personal data, restoring the device to the state it was in when it left the factory. This is also known as a factory reset. Your device will be deregistered and your NOOK profile will be erased from the device.
Please note: An Erase and Deregister cannot be undone after performed.
To perform an Erase and Deregister on your NOOK HD or HD+
1. Press the NOOK symbol button at the bottom of your device to bring up the navigation menu.
2. Tap the "Settings" in the navigation menu.
3. Access "Device Info".
4. Tap "Erase and Deregister Device".
5. Tap "Erase and Deregister Device".