NOOK Color can store and read a variety of documents including .PDF and Microsoft Office files. This article contains a list of document file types that are compatible with NOOK Color and describes steps on how to sideload documents to your device.
For instructions on how to download and sideload purchased eBooks from Barnes & Noble onto your NOOK Color, please view this article.
NOOK Color Can Read the Following Types of Files
Word (.doc, .docx, .docm, .dot, .dotx, .dotm)
Excel (.xls, .xlsx, .xlsm, .xlt, .xltx, .xltm)
PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx, .pptm, .pps, .ppsx, .ppsm, .pot, .potx, .potm)
Plain Text (.txt)
HTML (.htm, .html, .xhtml)
NOOK Color utilizes an application called Quick Office to Read and View Microsoft Office documents. You will not be able to Edit and Write these document types on your device using the included Quick Office App. A Pro Version of the Quick Office App can be purchased in the NOOK App Store. The Pro version will allow you to Edit and Write most Microsoft Office Files.
Sideloading a Document File from Your Computer to NOOK Color
1. Connect NOOK Color to your computer using the custom Micro USB cable included with your device.
2. Wake up your device by pressing the Power Button or the Home Key.
3. Unlock NOOK Color by sliding the NOOK icon on the color touch screen to the right. If you set up an optional four digit security passcode you will have to enter this instead. Please note that your NOOK Color has to be unlocked for your computer to recognize it.
4. Allow a few seconds for your computer to recognize the device. Once you are successfully connected your NOOK Color display should read USB Mode.
5. If you are using a Windows PC, click Start, then go to My Computer and open the drive labeled MyNOOKColor. If you are using a Mac, double click the icon on your desktop labeled MyNOOKColor.
a) If you would like to sideload a title onto a microSD card instead of the NOOK Color’s internal memory, double click on drive associated with your microSD card.
6. Double click on folder labeled My Files and then double click again on the folder labeled Documents.
a) If you are using a microSD Card, double click on the folder you would like to store the document file in.
7. Drag and drop your files from the Documents folder on your PC/Mac (or wherever else you have saved your files) to the Documents folder on your NOOK Color. Document files within the Documents folder and it's subfolders will be recognized by NOOK Color. This enables you to organize your files by type, date, topic, etc. If you prefer you can store your Documents in a different folder or you can create a new folder. Just make sure to remember where you stored your files so you can access them later on.
a) When using a microSD card, drag and drop the document file from your Documents folder on your PC/Mac to the folder you created on your microSD card. Your NOOK Color should recognize compatible document files stored in any folder on a microSD card.
8. Once the file transfer is complete go back to My Computer, right click on the MyNOOKColor drive and select Eject to safely remove the device from your computer. If you are using a Mac, simply drag and drop the MyNOOK Color drive icon to the Trash Bin. If you have a microSD inserted in your NOOK Color, make sure to safely remove this drive as well.
9. Unplug NOOK Color from the USB cable.
Reading Sideloaded Documents on Your NOOK Color
1. Wake up and unlock your NOOK Color again, then tap the Quick Nav Arrow to access the Quick Nav Bar and tap Library.
2. On the Library page, tap the My Files” tab.
3. Tap the My Files folder, then the Documents folder. If you transferred your eBooks to a folder other than the Documents folder, navigate to that folder and tap it once you have located it.
a. If you sideloaded your document file to a memory card, tap Memory Card to view the files and folders on your Memory Card.
4. Once you have located the title you want to read, tap the cover/icon to open it. After you have access your eBook for the first time, it should then appear in the Books tab of your NOOK Color’s Library. It will also appear on your NOOK Color’s home screen.