Before you create a child profile on your NOOK, the Primary Account on the device must have been configured with a payment method such as a credit card.
When the child profile is created, your device will charge one penny to your payment method as a record of the account creation. Your device will also offer you free books, which you can add to the child profile's Library.
To create a new child profile for your device:
You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network in order to create or edit NOOK Profiles.
1. In the upper left corner of the Home Screen, tap the icon for the profile currently being displayed. A window opens displaying the profile or profiles already created on your device. The panel also features two buttons: Add Adult Profile and Add Child Profile.
2. Tap Add Child Profile. Your device displays a form for creating a profile.
3. Tap the underlined words to customize the profile. Enter the name and gender of the child. Tap the up and down arrow buttons to select the month and year the child was born, so that your NOOK can present recommendations appropriate for the child's age. Accept the Terms & Conditions of creating a child profile by tapping the checkbox. You can read the terms and conditions by tapping the hyperlink beside the checkbox.
NOTE: Federal COPPA (privacy) regulations require that the child's age be specified.
4. Tap Continue.
If you have not entered a payment method for the primary profile, your device guides you through a form for entering credit card information. When you have entered information for a credit card issued from a U.S. bank to a cardholder with a U.S. address, tap Continue to continue creating the child profile.
NOTE: If you have never made a purchase with this account, you will be asked to confirm a $0.01 charge to validate this credit card before you finish creating this child profile. A free Kids book will be added to your account once you complete this step. Once you have validated this charge, you will not need to repeat this step.
Your device displays the Parental Controls page for this account.
5. Tap on checkboxes to select which of the following permissions and limitations you want to grant this account:
· Browse Shop
· Password-protect purchases in Shop (require an account password to be entered before completing any purchase in Shop)
· Display only Kids content in Shop
· Access My Files in Library
· Browse the Web
· Reads for Kids
· Apps for Kids
· Videos for Kid
· Games for Kids
6. You have the option to fine-tune the permissions for video content by selecting and unselecting the icons for movie and TV ratings. Movie ratings include G, PG, and PG-13. TV ratings including TV-G, TV-Y, TV-Y7, TV-PG, and TV-14. Your NOOK automatically selects ratings based on the child's age, but you can edit these selections as you like.
7. Tap Continue. Your device displays a list of possible interests for the profile.
8. Select the interests relevant for your child and tap Next. Your device displays sample content based on the interests you selected.
9. Tap on the items you would like to add to the profile's Library. Tap Next. Your NOOK finishes creating the profile and displays the Home screen for the profile.