NOOK Color users have the option to keep their device safely locked with a passcode to avoid anyone without authorization from viewing their library content or using their device. Follow these steps to add a security passcode to your NOOK Color.
Setting Up Your Passcode
1. Press the NOOK “n” button and then slide the "n" logo to the right to wake up and unlock your NOOK.
2. From the Home Screen, tap the NOOK "n" button to access the “Quick Nav Bar”, and then tap the “Settings” icon.
3. Tap “Security.”
4. Tap “Device lock passcode” and make sure the box is checked when you tap it.
5. Enter a 4-digit passcode, and then re-enter the same code to confirm your selection.
6. You will now be required to enter your passcode to unlock your device.
Turning Your Passcode On/Off
1. Once your passcode is set up and enabled, tap “Device lock passcode” to uncheck the box and disable passcode protection.
Note: You will be required to enter your passcode every time you toggle your passcode on/off.
2. Tap “Device lock passcode” while it is unchecked, and enter in a new 4 digit passcode, to toggle it back on.
Restricting Web Browser and Social Media Use
After a passcode has been enabled for your device, in addition to requiring your passcode to be entered when unlocking your device, you can choose to require your passcode to be entered when a user attempts to access the Web Browser or share via Facebook or Twitter. To do this:
1. From the Security Settings page, tap "Restrictions." You will then be required to enter your 4-digit passcode.
2. After your passcode has been entered, you can restrict either Social sharing or Web Browser use by tapping the appropriate option.
3. After you have selected which feature you would like to restrict, you can press the NOOK "n" button to return to the home screen.
4. If you would like to remove these particular restrictions, return to the Security Settings page, tap "Restrictions," and tap the appropriate selection to uncheck it. You can also remove both Web Browser and Social restrictions by tapping "Restrictions" at the top of the page to uncheck it. Note: You will be required to enter your 4-digit passcode every time you toggle restrictions on and off.
If You Cannot Remember Your Passcode
You will be given 5 chances to enter your passcode correctly. After entering your passcode incorrectly 5 consecutive times you will receive a message stating “You have incorrectly entered your pin 5 times. Please try again in 60 seconds.” You can then tap “OK to continue" and your NOOK will display a countdown of the time remaining.
If you still cannot remember your passcode, it is recommended that you contact Barnes & Noble NOOK Support.