You can transfer files, including EPUB files, Microsoft Office files, photos, and music files, from your personal computer to your NOOK Tablet or NOOK Color. Transferring files this way is sometimes called “sideloading.”
To transfer files:
1. Using the custom microUSB cable provided with your NOOK, connect your NOOK to your personal computer.
2. When you connect your NOOK to your personal computer, your NOOK will appear as a new disk drive called MyNOOK on your personal computer. Drag the files you want to transfer onto the MyNOOK drive.
NOTE: If you connect your NOOK to a Windows PC, the PC might display a dialog box asking if you want to install a driver for a NOOK. Click Cancel to close this dialog box. You do not need to install a special driver to transfer files to your NOOK.
3. To organize the files, open the MyNOOK drive. You’ll see several folders on your NOOK. Move your personal files in the My Files folder. Within the folder, you can sort files into these folders:
4. Put files in their proper folders.
• Put Microsoft Office files, .txt files, and PDFs in the Documents folders.
• Put music files such as MP3 files in the Music folder.
• Put photos such as .jpg files in the Photos folder.
• Put videos in the Videos folder.
5. When you have finished arranging files, eject the “MyNOOK” drive from your personal computer to dismount the NOOK file system.
6. Disconnect the microUSB cable.
NOTE: Books, magazines, and newspapers stored on an SD Memory Card appear under My Files, rather than in the Books, Magazines, and Newspapers sections of the Library.
Documents and Microsoft Office Files
NOOK can read the following types of files:
• Word (doc, docx, docm, dot, dotx, dotm)
• Excel (xls, xlsx, xlsm, xlt, xltx, xltm)
• PowerPoint (ppt, pptx, pptm, pps, ppsx, ppsm, pot, potx, potm)
• Plain Text (txt)
• HTML (htm, html, xhtml)
• Comic Book Archive (.cbz)
Your NOOK can play the following types of music files:
Your NOOK can play the following types of video files:
• Adobe® Flash®
Your NOOK supports:
• MPEG-4 Simple/Advanced Profile up to 1920x1080
• H.263 up to 352x288
• H.264 Baseline/Main/High Profile up to 1920x1080
• WEBM VP8 up to 640x480
NOTE: Your NOOK can play media files up to 2 GB.
Recommendations for My Files
After you transfer documents, Office files, photos, videos, or audio clips to your NOOK, keep back-up copies on your personal computer.