The following procedure details instruction on installing NOOK® software update.
To Manually Sideload an Update
Prior to receiving any update always ensure your NOOK has at least a 20% charge prior to updating.
1. Connect your NOOK to your computer via USB connection. It may be necessary to unlock the device by swiping the lock on the LCD or E-Ink display.
2. From your computer’s web browser navigate to NOOK.com/support. Clicking Software Update on the specific NOOK you wish to update will take you to the update page for your device. Follow the instructions to download the update file. Click Get update Today and select the Click here link to begin your download.
3. Once downloaded, drag the downloaded update to your NOOK’s root directory. Do not drag to any specific folder; simply drag & drop in the NOOK drive e.g. MyNOOK, MyNOOKColor, etc.
4. When completed, safely eject your NOOK and tap the power button to place your device in sleep mode. The update will begin the installation process within the next 3 - 5 minutes.
To Receive an Update via OTA (Over the Air)
1. Your NOOK must be powered ON or in Sleep Mode and connected to a Wi-Fi source.
2. When designated by our servers your NOOK will quietly download the update while it is in sleep mode or while being used.
3. NOOK Tablet, NOOK Simple Touch and NOOK Color will install the update only while in sleep mode; sleep mode can be activated by tapping the power button. NOOK 1st Edition should install the update as long as it is powered on.
4. Once downloaded, a new software update typically takes 5-10 minutes to install.