"User Not Authorized" error may occur when a device is intentionally or unintentionally de-authorized.
To re-authorize your device:
1. Connect your NOOK via USB Cable to a compatible USB port on your computer.
For PC Users:
• Open Adobe Digital Editions.
• Once ADE has loaded, insert the USB cable from your device to your computer.
• Your PC should then detect your device.
For MAC Users:
• Close Adobe Digital Editions.
• Once ADE has been closed, insert the USB cable from your device to your MAC.
• Your MAC should then detect your device (a drive icon labeled NOOK should appear on your desktop).
• After your device has been detected by your MAC, open Adobe Digital Editions.
2. Once detected, Adobe Digital Editions will prompt you to "Authorize" your device to the program. Click Authorize then Finish.
3. After authorization, the device appears as an icon in your library. You can transfer items to and from the device's just by dragging and dropping.
If authorization is not successful:
1. Connect your NOOK to your computer using the appropriate USB cable and open Adobe Digital Editions.
• If your computer detects your NOOK and asks if you wish to open the drive click OK.
• Alternatively, you can double-click on the NOOK drive located in "My Computer" for Windows PC users or on the desktop for Mac users.
2. While your NOOK is connected, close ADE. This will ensure ADE does not attempt to authorize your device prematurely.
3. Locate the ".adobe-digital-editions" and "digital editions" folders on the root of the drive, or the first directory in the drive such as C:\. If these folders do not appear, try powering your device on and off and then try again.
4. Verify that all the files in this folder are backed up on your computer, or that they are available to re-download them from their Library's website.
5. Delete the folders by dragging them to the recycle or trash bin, or by highlighting them and clicking delete. This will delete all Adobe local content from your NOOK. Deleting these folders will securely and conclusively de-authorize your device, which will allow you to properly authorize your device and begin your download(s).
6. When completed, safely eject your NOOK from your computer.
7. Open Adobe Digital Editions and re-connect your NOOK. When prompted, Adobe Digital Editions will ask to authorize your device. Click OK. Adobe Digital Editions application will recreate the previously deleted folders.
8. At this point the issue should be resolved; you may sideload and re-open the titles on your NOOK.
NOTE: If you continue to experience any problems it may also help to re-download the Library book from your Library's website before attempting to sideload again.
If the above fixes did not correct your issue, try the following:
• If you received a "User Not Activated" or "Loan token not found" error message, click here for assistance.
• We also suggest installing Adobe Digital Editions software version 3.0. Click here to download version 3.0.