To transfer eBooks with Adobe DRM (and other eBooks in EPUB or PDF format) to your NOOK, you’ll need to download and install Adobe Digital Editions (“ADE”) on your computer. From there, you’ll be able to transfer supported eBook files to your NOOK Library.
NOTE: Using ADE will work with transferring both Adobe DRM content and DRM-free content.
Public Library eBook borrowers should use the “OverDrive Media Console” or “3M Cloud Library” NOOK apps, available for free in the NOOK App Store. These third-party apps will allow you to check out and download library eBooks directly over Wi-Fi, with no need for sideloading.
Adobe Digital Editions comes with a detailed “Getting Started” guide that is installed as an EPUB within the application. You can also download it directly from Adobe at http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/digital-editions/assets/welcome.epub.
NOTE: On Windows, ADE does not currently support direct transfer for MTP Media devices, like NOOK HD or NOOK HD+. ADE will unlock your protected content, and you must copy the files to your NOOK manually. Mac users can copy files to their NOOKs directly within ADE.
Below is an overview of the process to get you started.
Step 1: Get started by installing Adobe Digital Editions
· Download and install Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
· When prompted, select Authorize Computer.
· If you don’t already have an Adobe ID, click the Get an Adobe ID link.
· Adobe will launch your Web browser and take you to the Adobe Sign-In page.
· Follow the instructions on the Sign-In page to create an Adobe account.
· When you’re done, return to Adobe Digital Editions.
· Enter your Adobe ID and password, and click Activate.
Step 2: Authorize your NOOK with Adobe Digital Editions (does not apply for NOOK HD or NOOK HD+ users on Windows)
· Start Digital Editions (NOTE: If your NOOK is already connected to your computer, Digital Editions might not see your device. Unmount/disconnect your NOOK before launching Digital Editions.)
· Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable provided with your device.
· Select your NOOK in the “Devices” in the left column. Then click the gear icon to show the Device Options menu, and select Authorize Device….
· In the dialog that appears, select your Adobe ID, and click “Authorize Device” to complete the process.
· Your NOOK will now be authorized to read DRM-protected content from Adobe Digital Editions—which means you’re ready to transfer books from your Adobe Digital Editions Library.
NOOK HD and NOOK HD+ Users on Windows:
You must authorize your NOOK with ADE on your device. To do so:
· Tap the Settings gear icon in the top right corner of your screen, and select “All Settings”.
· Select “Account Settings”, then tap “Adobe Digital Editions”.
· Enter your ADE information (email and password).
· Your NOOK is now authorized to read DRM-protected content from Adobe Digital Editions.
· (Alternatively, you can enter your Adobe Digital Editions information the first time you open a protected eBook; the same login dialog will pop up, and your information will be saved.)
Step 3: Download and transfer books to start reading
For NOOK HD and NOOK HD+ users on Windows, once you download your Adobe DRM-protected file from your eBook source online, open it with Adobe Digital Editions to unlock it. Then, right-click on the unlocked book to show the file itself on your computer. Copy this file manually into the “MyFiles” folder on your NOOK.
All other users can copy your eBooks to your NOOK directly within the ADE program. Simply drag the books from the ADE library to your NOOK device icon in the left-most column of the ADE window.