Publishers selling content on Barnes & Noble platforms are responsible for complying with the Content Policy. Barnes & Noble may update or alter the Content Policy at any time.
Barnes & Noble reserves the right to determine, in the exercise of our sole discretion, whether or not your content (including, but not limited to your text, cover image and product data) is compliant with the Content Policy. This includes but is not limited to content we deem illegal, libellous, infringing, offensive, harmful or potentially harmful, threatening, harassing, legally obscene, defamatory, intolerant, or intentionally hateful in any regard.
We also reserve the right to remove from sale your book or other content at any time, if we determine, at our sole discretion, that the content in your book is not appropriate for sale.
You are responsible for knowing and following all local, national or international laws regarding publishing content that are relevant to you or your business.
Please be advised that submitting or posting any of the following content in your book file, cover image or product data may, in the exercise of Barnes & Noble's sole and unfettered discretion, result in the removal of said content. Please be advised that the content listed represent examples only and the following list of content is non-exhaustive. Such content includes but is not limited to:
- Infringing Material: Any content to which you do not own the copyright or otherwise control the right to distribute. Additionally, content that may violate any other intellectual property rights, such as trademark and trade dress, and/or content that may infringe upon a party's proprietary rights, such as the right of privacy or the right of publicity.
- Obscene or Pornographic material: This may include content that graphically portrays the sexual exploitation of children or sexual subject matter for the purposes of sexual arousal and erotic satisfaction.
- Libelous Material: False defamatory statements that intentionally harm or have the potential to harm an individual or a third party.
- Illegal Content: As we may determine in our sole discretion, content that is illegal, content that violates the laws of any jurisdiction, whether or not we sell in such jurisdiction.
- Misleading Content: Content designed to mislead readers or content that deliberately misrepresents the material presented in your book.
- Advertisements: Content contained within your book or other content that primarily seeks to sell a product other than the book or content itself.
- Other Offensive Material: any other content we deem offensive in the exercise of our sole discretion including but not limited to works portraying or encouraging incest, rape, bestiality, necrophilia, paedophilia or content that encourages intolerance, terrorism, hate, racism or violence.
As stated above, the information that describes your book (Product Data) is also subject to our Content Policy. Please note that in addition to the points listed above, Barnes & Noble prohibits the following data points in your Product Data:
- Hyperlinks of any kind, including email addresses.
- Request for action (i.e.: "If you like this book, please write me a review.").
- Advertisements or promotional material (including author events, seminars etc.).
- Contact information for the author or publisher.
Public Domain Content: Barnes & Noble may, at any time, request validation that any content you designate as public domain content in fact is in the public domain for any jurisdiction in which such content will be sold. We may not allow certain versions of public domain content if the same title is available for sale on our website.
If you see any content on Barnes & Noble that violates these guidelines please report it to us at email@example.com.
As stated above, Barnes & Noble reserves the right to make changes to the Content Policy at any time without notice or liability.
These terms were last revised on __ May 2021.